Learning about hidden sugars

One gram of sugar doesn't seem like a lot does it? One teaspoon of granulated white sugar is equal to about 4.2 grams. So for argument sake, its only like .4 grams of a teaspoon. So guess what? In America the Federal Government says it's OK to call it sugar free. But my argument is that its not sugar free because it is not free of sugar. And for most people its doesn't matter. For me and my fellow diabetics it is a big problem. Here is why.

I like to use a big cup when I pour my coffee in the morning. Its a latte cup. Probably like 15 oz. if I filled it to the top. But I don't, because I leave room for creamer, lots of creamer. So for argument sake (I sound like a politician or eek... and attorney) 12 oz. of coffee. Then I fill it up again. So I drink about 24 oz of coffee a day, sometimes less, because I don't always get the second one or finish it after I pour it.

The other day I tested my fasting blood sugar. Yippee, before you do anything except visit the loo (no I am not English but I think it just sounds nicer) you get to prick your finger with a sharp needle and before your awake you must get the blood droplet in the tester...(I am saying it all like this to get simpathy, its really quite easy and it doesn't hurt) and then record the number.  So after all that you can go about your business. If I am working out. I go do that. If not, then I head straight to the coffee pot and pour my  BIG cup of coffee.
For the past seven years I have been using International Delight Sugar Free Vanilla Creamer in my coffee.  Two days ago after a workout and just coffee I went to test my BG (blood Glucose) and it went up 10 points. I was baffled. After thinking about it for several hours (obsessed?) I thought I would check the ingredient list on the ID creamer. Guess what? CORN SYRUP is the second ingredient. How do they get away with that? I will tell you.
Federal Govenment standards allow labels to say " 0 grams" if the food contains 0.4 grams or less per serving. It must say "<1 gram" if the food or drink contains 0.9 grams or less per serving. BUT the serving size is determined by the individual company. So if you want to lower your fat, calories, sugar on the food you are selling you just lower the serving size on your container.  I got fooled because they (International Delights Creamer) decided that their searving size would be one tablespoon. Now they do you Splenda to cut back on the sugar and the calories, but that is the last ingredient. Remember FDA says you have to list the ingredients from the most to the least. So for corn syrup to be listed before Splenda means there is more corn syrup than splenda. Again, that is a big problem for me.
How much creamer do you put in your coffee? Remember my big coffee? I put in about 1/4 of a cup which equals about 4 tablespoons. (If its really strong coffee, even more creamer) So if we do the math correctly..and with me that is a big if. 0.4 grams of sugar per tablespoon x 4 tablespoons = 1.6 grams of sugar. Ok, we are still under one teaspoon of sugar.. I know I am being persnickety but its my blog darnit and this is my life and my survival. And again that is very low sugar for YOU the non diabetic. For me it sent my BG up 10 points. What else is hiding out there?

Do you remember years back when you first heard about someone being Gluten intolerant? Well I am reading more, learning more and I just read in a book by Dana Carpenter that diabetics could consider themselves as carbohydrate intolerant.  That actually makes sense to me. Carbs effect me differently like gluten effects someone differently who is gluten intolerant.

This is Girl Schmuck signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment