1 package of active dry yeast or 2 1/2 tsp of bread yeast
1 1/3 cups of warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
1 tablespoon Sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3 1/2 to 4 cups of unsifted, all purpose flour
cinnamon and sugar
garlic powder and Parmesan cheese
Impress your friends with your homemade soft pretzels. For variety, sprinkle some with sesame seeds or salt and mustard powder. You can substitute one cup of white flour for whole wheat flour. Anyway you make them, they are a great snack and easy to make. They are so delicious served right out of the oven.
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease 2 large baking pans. If you double the recipe, you will need more pans. In a large bowl, mix warm water and yeast. Gradually stir in sugar and salt and then by the cup; add the flour. You want a soft but not wet dough. (With our Florida humidity I find I have to use even another extra cup of flour while rolling out.)
2. Knead the dough for about 5 to 7 minutes. Add another 1/2 cup of flour if necessary. You need to make sure your creating the gluten in the flour to make a crispy chewy product. Dough should not stick to board or hands.
3. Cut the dough in half and then each half into six equal pieces. (if you want to season the dough with add In's, like cinnamon and raisin, now is the time) Allow dough to rest about 10 minutes. It will double in size very quickly. Roll one piece of dough back and forth to form a long rope of dough. About 15 inches long. Shorter ropes will make fatter pretzels, but taste just as great. Twist dough into any shape or letter you want.
4. Continue with remaining dough. Lay them on baking pan about three inches apart.. they are going to double and need room for growth. (don't we all?) You can mix a beaten egg and water and brush that over the tops for a shiny effect. Or you can melt butter for a brown crisper effect. (I like to brush butter on them again just before I pull them Out of the oven)
5. Top the pretzels with choices from above selection or invent your own. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown all over. They are best eaten warm. They freeze great, reheat great. Great gift idea. Makes 12 pretzels. Enjoy
This is Girl Schmuck signing off.