What's Cooking, Good looking?

Do you remember that old song with lyrics; "Hey good looking. Whatcha got cooking? How about cooking up something with me?" Some folks like to pair food and wine or food and beer together. I love to compliment my food with good music. Jazz music sets so well with soul food and salsa beats bring out the heat in flank steak fajitas with grilled onions and peppers. 
My newest purchased cookbook came as a surprise from my husband. I was shopping online, placed a cookbook in my cart rather than on my wish list and Military Man purchased it for me. Whole-grain Mornings, New breakfast Recipes to Span the Seasons by Megan Gordon. A few years back I went on a very low carb diet to reduce some high risk health problems. Slowly I have brought a few, OK more than a few carbs back into my diet. Bread is my favorite food. Who doesn't love bread? Well, I am experiencing health issues again and processed store bought bread has to be eliminated once again from our household. I needed some inspiration of what grains I can use to replace others. What kind of music helps digest breakfast food? How do you define breakfast?
Do you need quiet instrumental or piano playing softly? Will Reggae shake you awake with your coffee?
Do you dance when you hear music? My hips start to sway when I hear music; my toes tap and my shoulders bounce as my head flips side to side drawing me in as I connect to drums beating out the tempo. Never have I thought about breakfast food and music together though. Why did breakfast food get the silent treatment?
One of my favorite memories is the Jewish Deli bagel shops of Ft. Lauderdale. Breakfast with coffee for $1.99. Big Fat soft chewy bagels with lots of lox and cream cheese. I mention "Jewish" not because the Bagels are holier than you but because the clientele is. I loved being in that fast serve deli, sitting at the counter listening to the customers. AND... the music being filtered over the speakers was the music of the 1940's. I could sing along with every single song as I listened to dishes clatter, orders being yelled out and fingers snapping to get the waitress' attention for coffee refills. I guess for me music does go with breakfast. Now I'm craving a bagel.

This is Girl Schmuck signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment