Homemade Granola or is it a cookie

Oatmeal cookies are the best. Oatmeal raisin cookies beat out chocolate chip cookies or brownies in my book any day. I was at the health food store the other day salivating at the bulk food bins. Chocolate is a health food. Sugar not so much. Oatmeal is kinda good for you but oatmeal cookies hmmmm, maybe not so much. Combining the right ingredients to give the satisfying cookie craving without the white flour, butter and loads of sugar was a challenge. The granola sold in stores is not healthy for you regardless of what store you bought it in, including the health food store.

Today I tried making my own granola with a combination of oats, pearled farro, raw pumpkin seeds, roasted sunflower seeds, walnuts, sliced almonds,unsweetened coconut and dried dates,craisins and raisins. The glue used to stick it together was olive oil, maple syrup, honey and little bit of brown sugar. The recipe didn't call for brown sugar. I put so much other stuff in the mix that I had to increase the stickiness of the glue. I had planned on adding flax seeds in the mix, but I forgot. Just a quick side note on flax seeds. Flax can not be digested by our bodies in whole seed form. Flax has to be ground for our bodies to absorb the nutrients and fiber. Otherwise it works like kernels of corn; comes out the same shape and form it went in.

The granola got all mixed up and turned out in a pan. I chose to press it in the pan and make bars instead of crumbles. Baked it up in the oven for about 20 minuets. YUM-O. I can't stop eating it. I am not hungry but the stuff is so good. I love the crunchy, the chewy, the sweet and the salt. It's only missing the 'cheesy' for it to be the perfect girl food. I got the recipe from Whole grain Mornings cookbook by Megan Gordon. It's the first recipe I have tried. I think I will be trying more. This is loaded in flavor and really low in sugar. So now the question is: Is it granola or is it a cookie?

This is Girl Schmuck signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment